Sunday 21 July 2013

Introducing our final design team member ...

I'm delighted to introduce you to the final member of the Pixels and Paper design team, Alicia Somers.


Hello, I’m Alicia,


I am predominantly a paper scrapbooker, but I am a huge photo editing geek. I love how just a few clicks with my mouse can completely change the focus of a shot, add to the story of a moment, or enhance the mood of the photo. My style is tailored, although I have been branching out recently and adding more “stuff” and over embellishing some layouts just to try my hand at the style that is so popular right now. I began crafting as a kid with my mom, and have been scrapbooking since the 90s when we only had 8 ½”x 11” printed paper. I have a vast variety of techniques that I have picked up over the years from things as simple as creative layering to complex and time consuming quilling pieces.
In the case of the DT call inspiration photo I saw three girly girls who love each other and animals. I saw them living on the edge of the outback on a ranch where they were free to roam the gardens after chores, playing together all day long. I was drawn to the wrought iron chair the youngest was sitting on, which inspired me to use the metal looking corner pieces that I die cut. I wanted to bring focus to the three girls so I cropped and created another photo to use on the page that shows each girl better, and I tinted it pink to bring out a more feminine feel than the black and white shot allows. I kept embellishments to a minimum so that the focus remained on the photo and the story I created for them about how important and close they are to each other. I titled it “Together” because as a girl who grew up in a rural area myself I know nothing is more important than family being together. Journaling reads: Growing up on the ranch at the edge of the wild outback my sisters and I had only each other and our animals for playmates. Our animals are like family, and my sisters and I are the best of friends. Helping out on the ranch, or exploring the gardens we did everything together. I can’t imagine a more perfect way to grow up.
 
 
Here is some more of my work ..
 
 
 
 
 
The close up photos of the baby layout is of a metal foot I handmade, and the other is a tiny foot I drew.  I believe wholeheartedly that I am creating art to leave behind for the future generations and so I do a lot of personalized things like this. I like to put pieces of me into every layout, and even though my handwriting is nothing special I know one day someone will cherish all the handwritten stories I include.
 

Please visit me on my blog
http://taylordscrapncraftreview.blogspot.com/ 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Great job on your LOs Alicia, and I love the quilling card:)
    X

    ReplyDelete